Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Reality #19: I Once Was Blind, But Now I See


I have been thinking a lot about God lately. Not whether or not He exists, because in my opinion He does. But more so, because of a friend of mine, I've been reading some Bible verses that have "re-opened" my eyes to some things.

For the past couple of months, I've experienced some rough patches in my life. They are patches that some may find to be a big deal and others may not, but ultimately they have caused me my fair share of dilemmas.

Anyways, the point is that through reading scripture I have learned that I have tried to play God for my own life. I have attempted to control every aspect of my life and have attempted to solve my own problems.

So what did these attempts get me? Nothing. Absolutely nothing...except emptiness.

I have ignored God, pushed Him to the side in order to make way for my own thoughts and judgements. And when I could not make my own decisions, I relied on advice of my friends. What I should have realized is that God has also always been my friend. He was just waiting on me to ask Him for His guidance.

So, I want to share with you some verses that have helped me to stay focused, stay level-headed and basically "let go and let God."

"Peace I leave with you. My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." ~John 14:27~

"...I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do. I will not forsake them." ~Isaiah 42:16~

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go. I will counsel you and watch over you." ~Psalm 32:8~

"Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." ~Romans 5:3-5~

I don't know what your beliefs are, what denomination you follow or even if you follow one at all. But what I do know is that life is hard. It is so easy for us to become jaded and exhausted with all of the problems that come our way. Or, in some cases, the problems of which we try to control.

We harbor hate and frustrations and indecisiveness and worry and pain and fear. But we also have within ourselves wisdom and hope and courage and love. We try to continuously control everything in our lives. But the reality is that we just can't.

What we can do, however, is open our ears to hear whispers of guidance, our mouths to speak words of kindness, our minds to new wisdom, and our eyes to what we were once blinded by. And sometimes just realize that while we cannot control the rain that falls on us, maybe there is someone who knows that the rain falls for a reason.

~Mj~


No comments:

Post a Comment