Monday, December 27, 2010

Reality #5: Take It For Granted And You Will Lose It

There are many things in life that people take for granted everyday, I being one of those people.

For instance, sometimes I really hate my job...but then again at least I have a job.

Sometimes, as a woman, I absolutely dread shaving my legs (not that any of you really needed to know that)...but then I think at least I have legs to shave.

There are times when I get frustrated with my family...but then I know that my family is made of great people, and for that I am grateful.

Therefore, I know I am not perfect. I know I take for granted a lot of things. But do you know what hurts the most? What hurts is when you, yourself, are taken for granted. There is never a feeling quite like that type of pain.

Do you know what it feels like to give all your love and dedication to someone that doesn't put you--or the relationship for that matter--first? Let me put it in layman's term: it sucks. It hurts down to the core of your innermost being.

Even beyond the pain, there comes a sense of unfairness to it all. It isn't fair for you to do all you can to put the other person first, be it a spouse, a friend or a family member, only to have them not put you first. And when I say this, it doesn't mean you are selfish. It simply means that you want in return what you have given to them: full dedication, respect and love.

And maybe you're the one that, instead of being taken for granted, you have taken someone for granted in your life. If this is the case, then do all you can before you it is too late. And if you have already lost that person because of your selfishness, then at least do what is right. Call that person. Send him or her a text. Apologize. It may not make a difference to them at the moment, but in the long run, it will make a difference down the road. Trust me.

So, as you make your New Year's resolutions, please remember this: never take the one you love for granted. No matter how much your selfishness wants to come through, just remember that what you have can be gone in an instant. Always keep that flame burning and never expect it to burn on it's own, or you will lose the most important person in your life.

~Mj~



No comments:

Post a Comment